Monday, February 16, 2009

This morning I woke up bright and early to the pitter patter of rain. I stayed in bed. I woke up later to more rain. I stayed in bed. I woke up again to pitter patter patter patter. Happy Washington's Birthday (observed) everyone, my plan for fixing the sprinkler system and getting some seeds in the ground was rained out. Everything is mud, so I decided I could take some pictures of the mud and dream about what will happen in the front yard with a few more sunny days.
To start off, here is a picture of grandma in the front yard when we bought the house. A week or so after we moved in the next door neighbor was mowing his lawn. When he was done I asked him if I could borrow his lawn mower to mow the weeds in the yard. He enthusiastically let me use his mower. When I was done he told me he had lived there eight years and no one had done a thing to the yard in that time. As you can see we started with not a blank slate but a slate that needed clearing.


Items removed: the weeks, the dead grass, the out of control bush at the corner of the house and the biggest weed of all, the fruitless mulberry tree that had sent its roots all over the yard including into the sewer.

This is the front yard today. The fruitless mulberry tree has been replaced with a dwarf lemon tree, an avocado tree I started from a seed, and an apricot tree.

I'm looking forward to how it takes shape. I'm planning circular planting beds around each of the trees with row plantings along the borders. I'm looking forward to the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment