Saturday, February 28, 2009

2/28/2009 Ponder Sprinklers

Confession. I wrote this post about what I did on Saturday 2/28 but was waiting to load the pictures I took of the sprinkler system when I did it. Lesson learned, I will not wait for pictures to post. Here is what I wrote about that day:

This Friday afternoon and Saturday (2/27-2/28/2009) I worked on the front yard. My biggest accomplishment was the sprinklers. There were two stations of sprinklers. One of them I repaired and the other one was so bad and because of how I plan to have flower beds I completely replaced it. I also decided to add a third station for all of the flower beds. This meant running the pipe under the sidewalk and if you have never done this before the trick is to use ¾ inch pipe and put it on the end of your hose. No attachment needed. You might get a little wet but the hole will be done in minutes.

After all the digging for the trenches I looked at the line coming from the house and saw there was a splice in the pipe exactly where I planned to add the new station. Seems I’m not the first person to think of using a separate station for the water beds. When I went to cut at the splice and install the new valve I realized I was one T short for what I wanted to do so I called it quits on that for this week. I also spread 12 bags of steer manure on the yard and roto tilled it in so it was a day well spent.

One of my neighbors came over and I told him about how I learned how to do sprinkler systems working alongside my dad for a few summers when I was a teenager. After he left I remembered the most memorable sprinkler system at Cove Fort for Byron Hinckley, brother of Gordon B. Hinckley, 15th President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Anyone traveling through the I-70 to I-15 junction or past it should make the time to stop and see this old fort and hear the story of the early settlers who lived and worked there. More information about Cove Fort is available here. So there you have it, I worked on the sprinkleres and 'pondered' about Cove Fort.

4 comments:

  1. Josh- sounds like you're having FUN! I too love to garden! I actually just planted my peas today. So exciting. Next is lettuce. Going to wait another week or so on that...maybe longer depending on the weather. Sprinklers are an adventure- glad they didn't get the best of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts. מערכת גילוי אש אנלוגית

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your post. I’ve been thinking about writing a very comparable post over the last couple of weeks, I’ll probably keep it short and sweet and link to this instead if thats cool. Thanks. מתקין מערכות גילוי אש

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I've read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you some interesting things or suggestions. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it! מערכת ספרינקלרים

    ReplyDelete