Monday, June 8, 2009

Ponder Fresh Tomatoes

A gardening friend shared this tip with me. With tomato season around the corner, this is an excellent thing to keep in mind. Visit this link to learn how to keep tomatoes, either by storing stem down or taping the stem end air tight: Storing Tomatoes

The plan with all the tomatoes we're growing (8 tomato plants, 7 varieties) is for my wife to cook them into some of her sauces and freeze them. This way in the winter months all we'll have to do is boil the noodles and thaw the sauce and dinner is ready, made with summer fresh tomatoes. My plan is to pick the ripe tomatoes daily so that the passers by have less of a chance if we run into a sticky fingers problem (so far this hasn't been an issue but there aren't any shiny red tomatoes yet). Keeping the stems air tight will help preserve them until there are enough to make a large batch of sauce.

I planted some decorative gourds and the pumpkins on Saturday for our fall decorations and Halloween. My 4 year old had a blast. I broke open the 47 lb pumpkin from last year and he picked out the seeds while I dug and prepared mounds in the back yard. He then planted all the seeds. When I was done, he was not. He said I have more seeds and you need to dig right here. So I did.

I tasted the pumpkin raw and it was still sweet and delicious and smelled wonderful, just like the ones we ate in November. I put plastic wrap on it and put it in the fridge and gave some to our next door neighbor. I plan on cooking it tonight.

Here is a picture taken about an hour ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment